Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Making Old New Again

And Other Recycle Stories

One of my goals this year is to take all of the leftover materials I have from various projects and try to create new pieces out of them. I want to deplete my inventory of miscellaneous "stuff" and clear some of my studio clutter. I have found that I really enjoy just creating paintings and drawings rather than making products from the artwork. I've learned to let the art speak for itself and let go of the need to make it become something else.


I've been very busy, sorting, organizing and mostly thinking. I have enough inventory to make limited editions of some new products which will be fun. So far I have decided to make all of my unfinished glass pendants into magnet sets. I also decided to use the bottle caps from my "kidsy" necklaces and turn them into wine charms.

I have a big box filled with every print I ever made that was a dud or a second. I never threw any of them away because that's what I used to use to punch shapes for my jewelry. I think I am going to use what's left of them to create one of a kind patterns and collages. It's an exciting feeling to imagine using up so much collected materials from the last ten years. I have gotten rid of some, but I still have a lot more to let go of. 


Unfortunately, I like to save everything in case I ever need it, but I haven't used some of these supplies in years. Maybe someday I will go looking for a specific wooden shape or jewelry finding etc., and it will be gone, but I think getting rid of the clutter is more important than keeping everything these days. It's not an easy task for me, this "letting go" but I am up for the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment